Total Pageviews

Monday, June 24, 2013

Well, I am off to Ecuador!

Edward Snowdon is stealing my thunder a bit, but I guess I should be used to that after Joran van der Sloot graced Peru whilst I was there.  Nevertheless, I am very excited about resuming world travel, especially to South America.  The promise of new foods, culture and people is always invigorating!  Furthermore, Unlike Thailand and Georgia, I have some working knowledge of the language which I am sure will come in handy.

I just finished my second year of medical school and the daunting board exams that came with it.  I can't think of a better way to escape the stress of medical school and board scores than to leave the country completely.  A family vacation in Colorado with the soon-to-be in-laws was fun, but it somehow left me more exhausted than I was before the trip.  I know travel abroad is taxing, however, I relish that moment when you land in a new country, look around the city and have no idea what is going on or where anything is.

As per usual, I am not exactly sure what I am getting myself into in Cumbaya, Ecuador.  I know that my host mother, Dr. Ulia, will be picking me up at the airport and that I will be seeing patients alongside her.  The program in Ecuador has a very broad outreach, so I feel like there is quite a bit of variation in what each volunteer could be doing. I am pretty sure, however,that I will be put to good use and will have the time of my life.

I will update the blog with pictures, notes on cuisine and some of what I have been doing when I get the chance.  I hope all is well with you guys back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment