Total Pageviews

Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 4- Chill and Relax

Day 4- Cuzco

We let ourselves sleep in as late as possible and still be able to grab breakfast. I love the food here btw, and none of us have suffered from bad water or food or anything. We knew it was going to be a relaxing, easy day, so there was really no rush to anything we did.

After breakfast we went to the Museo Inka and read all about the Incan’s history. This basically entails tribes that existed before the incans, some of those tribes disbanded, died, etc, the incans united and conquered, and then the Spanish fucked over the Incans hardcore style like we did in the North. Turns out almost 10 million incans died in the mines because the Spaniards worked them to death, so they would be able to bring back gold and silver to Europe. Total douches right? Anyways, Cuzco which was the capital of the incan empire (originally spelled Qosqo and means Center) was 95% destroyed by the Spaniards, and Machu Picchu is pretty much the only totally in-tact incan city. The museum was cool and informative, and it was a good primer for actually seeing Machu Picchu the next day.

We wandered around the town for a little while after that like we did the day before. We didn’t buy anything, but we did find the stone of 12 angles which is a 6-ton stone that is pivotal to some random wall’s structure. Shit’s a mystery how the Incans made and transported those stones, and it is pretty cool to see them in person. After all the walking we were pretty tired, so we decided to go find something to eat.

We decided on La Trattoria which was a pizzeria place. I got a ham and mushroom pizza because it was pretty cheap, and the other guys got some native stuff (pepper steak, steak trattoria, and pollo saltado). The food was good, and it was nice to wash it down with lemonade. I do kind of hate this country because you cant drink all you want of anything. Seriously, I feel dehydrated 98% of the time. Anyways, I was itching to get out of there because I was supposed to go talk to Allison at 3, but our check took 45 minutes to arrive and be processed. We were all pissed. I haven’t had service that bad anywhere in my life. I ended up missing Allison by like 2 minutes, which was totally frustrating, but I couldn’t do anything about it. Fuck that place.

We hung out at the hotel for a while and caught up on our respective journals. I read a funny entry in Maury’s about how he couldn’t pee because he had a boner no matter how hard he tried. Everyone back home needs to hear the story from him, because it made me cry I was laughing so hard.

I kindof wanted to get a cappuccino next door, which was promised to be the best in all of Cuzco, so I convinced the guys to come with me. We got the cappuccino, some lemonade and enjoyed the free bread they gave us. After we were almost ready to go, Maury decided that he wanted something more to eat, so he ordered a chicken skewer. Typical Mauricio to order something after we are almost done and to make everyone wait another 30 minutes, but we had nowhere to be, so we really didn’t mind that much.

We took a couple pictures of a massive cathedral right next to the hotel, and then we decided to stay in, call it a night and prepare for MP the next day. I got cleaned up, and then we decided to watch Zombieland. The movie was alright, but I have no desire to see it again, and I don’t think I would suggest it if there are other choices that sound remotely appealing. It was something to do, and it offered a few laughs, however, so I guess it served its purpose.

It was bed time, because Machu Picchu was looming before us, and we had to wake up at 6:30 to catch our ride. I was really excited, but I didn’t have too many specific expectations because I knew expectations were useless when seeing a wonder of the world. I am definitely excited, and I know that tomorrow will be a long day and, accordingly, a long journal entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment